The speedo cable = installed - I broke a spoke

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The speedo cable = installed - I broke a spoke
From: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 12:03:40 +0100
Wel guys,

I'd like to share this story with you.
Several listers notified me I could do with the replacement of the internal
cable.
Now I got from my regular MG shop a new internal - external cable.
I had the meter removed from the dash alright.
1st I took the 90 deg. adapter apart. I had this well lubricated and noticed
it turned much better afterwards.
Now I took a look at the cable. The new cable was longer than the original
one, so I could forget the easy replacement of the internal cable only.

As I noticed at start of the job my left front wheel had a broke spoke I had
to go to the parts shop anyway, so I'd try to get the proper length cable.
This length is no longer produced told the shop owner = bad luck for me. So I
had to use the cable which was labeled MGC w o/d.
He had the new spoke for $ 4.00. I took the spoke to the tyre shop, where the
guys still knew me.
We replaced the spoke and had the wheel balanced again at no cost!

So I put the new outer cable on the gearbox and I wondered how the get the
cable thrue the hole into the interior, which was hard to get by - very high
inside the gearbox tunnel.
As I was alone I made the following trick:
Put the old inner cable from the interior into the gearbox room.
Over this I shifted the outer cable towards the hole and automatically the
outer cable was placed in front of the hole. After some little extra push the
cable was through the hole.
It's working as I tested with turning one of the wheels. Test drive is either
today or tomorrow and we'll see if the wavy needle is stable again.
I tested the speedo instrument with my power screw driver and it looked o.k.
The max speed indicated was 50 miles, so not the complete range has been
tested...

Hope you like the story.

Cheers,

Hans