RE: Help HIF4 Balancing/Tuning

To: "Chris Thompson" <ct@cthompson.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Help HIF4 Balancing/Tuning
From: "Randy Trautman" <trautman@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:06:15 -0800
For an unknown set, there are a few things to check that apply to most SUs.

First, check the throttle shafts for play.  There should not be very much
radial movement.  If there is, this will result in a vacuum leak between the
shaft and the body that will seriously affect the carburetor's ability to
perform.  This can be corrected by inserting bushings and a new shaft.
Another alternative is to ream the holes oversize and fit an oversize shaft.

Second, check the movement of the pistons in the dome.  After cleaning, they
should move freely.  The domes and the pistons should be free of scratches
or wear spots.  There is a simple test that can be performed to test the
dome to piston clearance listed in most manuals.

These two tests will help you to determine if you can rebuild them at home
or will need to send the bodies out for rebushing and other work.

Other things for him to look for?

Randy