Re: tie rods and gaiters

To: MonteMorris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: tie rods and gaiters
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:32:11 -0600
MonteMorris wrote:

> I need to replace the gaiters (rack seals) on a 79B. According to the Moss
> catalog removal instructions, I need a tie rod end separator or two hammers to
> get the tie rod end off the steering arm ( I'm assuming the steering arm is
> the same thing as the steering lever). The catalog attempts to explain (I'm
> sure it DOES explain to someone who knows what they are doing :-) how to
> remove the tie rod end using these two hammers but I'm not understanding very
> well (after all I'm a biology teacher and a tie rod is not LIVING!). Do you
> put pressure downward on the steering lever with a big hammer and then tap
> the tie rod upward with another hammer? The Haynes nor the Bently manual
> explains this very well either and I don't want to damage the tie rod or the
> tie rod end boot since all I want to do is replace the rack boots.  Should I
> need to order any other parts in advance? The steering seems to be tight.
> Monte Morris 79B and 74 1/2 B parts
> Kahoka, MO USA

I did this last summer, and had a terrible time. Turns out I needed to
do the tie rod ends too, so it worked out. Tie rod ends are only about
$20 a set anyway.

So, first. DO NOT USE A tie rod end separator. It will just tear up the
rubber. And it's probably too wide anyway. MG tie rod ends are pretty small.

You also don't HAVE to take off the tie rod end. You can just unscrew
the steering rod out of it. Put on the boot and screw it back in. That's
what Quality Coaches suggested to me. After it was too late.

How I did it, was to back the nut down to the end. put a jack stand
under the rod, and CAREFULLY lower the car so that a little weight is on
the rod (NOT MUCH, just positive force to stop rebound). The weight of
the car is not supported by the rod. I had another jack stand under the
X-member as a backup and the floor jack. Then a big hammer (31b I think)
on the nut/bolt. A few medium hits and it pops free. Leaving the nut on
make sure the rod does go flying up and hit something, like your head.
It gives you about an inch of free movement.

Hope that helps.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155

///