Coil Again - is this right?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Coil Again - is this right?
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:11:05 -0600
 From the discussions last week, it was pointed out that I needed to check
the resistance of the coil I bought at Pep Boys to see if this was the
right coil for my 67 MGB or not.  For reference it is a Borg Warner E40P.

I dug the digital multi-meter out of the trunk of the Corvair and tested
this coil.  From the + to the - side of the coil the multi-meter read 3.8
ohms.  From either the + or - side to the output of the coil the
multi-meter read 6.7 ohms.  Does that mean:

         Primary resistance = 3.8
         Secondary resistance = 6.7

 From looking around on the web, it looks like I have a 12V coil, but the
Primary Resistance seems high when compared to the coils on Paul's page,
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/ignition.htm and in Rick Astley's article on
the The MG Cars Enthusiast's site,
  http://www.mgcars.org.uk/electrical/body_coil.html

If I got the primary/secondary thing right, the dented Lucas coil that is
in the car (it also has the screw on cap top which I want to change to plug
in) reads

         Primary resistance = 3.0
         Secondary resistance = 9.6

Can that secondary resistance be right?

Do I need to take the Borg Warner E40P coil back to the store?  If so,
since the parts counter guys don't know what they are giving me, anyone
have a car I can ask for a coil from so I will get the right thing?

Thanks for the help
Patton