RE: Future Classics?

To: "'Dave Ciaccio'" <tbird52@msn.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Future Classics?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:21:44 -0800
Dave:

        I think James hit something with the point that future classics tend
to be cars we wanted when we were in our adolescence.

        There are cars out there now that I don't think we consider
classics, but the kids do!  The early Civic SI, the early Toyota MR2, the
Mazda Miata, the Mustang 5.0, these are all comparable to the MGs and
Triumphs of our youth.  Lots of kids want them, but various pressures
(including parental) prevent ownership.  (please note, that I am not
attaching an age definition to the term "kid"  : )

        I wouldn't consider buying a classic car as an investment, though.
Look at the real figures.  Time value of money on: the purchase cost, basic
insurance against fire/theft, storage.  Add on the costs to rehabilitate the
car after years of deterioration.  Not to mention the possible future
legislation against unsafe driver controlled fossil fuel burning vehicles.

        Drive em, love em, keep em.

Kelvin.

> This is a question off our usual MG discussions.  Has anyone
> ever thought of
> what makes our LBCs classics?  Is it the styling, the
> engineering, the limited
> number of production, the era in which they were produced,
> etc?  I am thinking
> of purchasing cars now (as bucks allow) that will be classics
> in the future.
> The key here is buying a car at the bottom end of its
> valuation, but when
> restored and over time, will increase in value....similar to
> what our MGs (or
> other classics of that time) did in the late 70's.  So, the
> question becomes,
> what are those features that make up a future classic and
> what might some of
> those cars be...mazda miata, pontiac fiero, etc, etc.?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///