Garage Floor

To: smitty29832@msn.com
Subject: Garage Floor
From: "James Laukaitis" <jim5@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:00:13 -0500
Smitty,

      I too was in the process of doing this, but got sidetracked. I have a
one car garage, originally stuffed with a '66 Lincoln that leaked ATF. I
put down cat litter to absorb as much as possible. Then I went down to the
local Home Depot, and did some looking/asking around. I puchased an epoxy
paint (1part), so guess it is really more paint than epoxy. It is
supposedly spill resistant and lift resistant. Epoxy floors can be
expensive, read on. I got cleaner for the floor as well. The whole setup
(Behr's, I think) was $50. It looks like good stuff and I really want to
give it a try, but the office/loft comes first :) It dis give you an
assortment of colors to choose from. That was nice, and how I sold the idea
to my wife, she picked the color. Anyway check them out (or any local home
store/paint store) and cost out your options. Like I said epoxy floors are
expensive. If you check out GRM's articles on Building your own shop they
have a part on the floor;
            GRM Shop 101    part 1, sept/oct '94 + part 2, nov/dec '94 +
part 3, mar/apr '95 + part 4, may/june 95.
I think it might be part 2. In a nutshell they say it is great, very
resistant to dings and chips, i.e. drop a hammer or something, you can
leave burn marks from a torch, spills are easy to clean up, doesn't stick
to tires, and it is hard, long, tedious to apply. GRM also had a recent
article, not sure when, I think the first issue this year, on the snap
together squares. That seems very costly too. Check the square footage of
your garage. It quickly adds up.

Hope this helps

Jim Laukaitis
'67 BGT