Float Level Checking

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Float Level Checking
From: Zach Dorsch <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:46:33 -0800 (PST)
Its been a little while since I asked about tuning my
HIF4's on my MG.  Someone had mentioned that I should
check the floats.  I have looked through the workshop
manual and am trying to make sure that I understand
the instructions.  "invert the carburetter so that the
needle valve is held in the shut position by the
weight of the float only."  Does this mean that if I
invert the carb that I will be able to physically see
the needle touching the float?  Also "check that the
point indicated on the float is 0.04+/-0.02 in. below
the level of the float chamber face."  Does this mean
that the float should be .04 to .02 below the level of
the face?  Forgive this if this sounds extremely
remedial, but I have never worked with these
carburetters.

Thank You

Zach Dorsch
http://movies.yahoo.com/