Attitude going north (for a change)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Attitude going north (for a change)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg1@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:37:17 -0600
Greetings from Sarasota, Florida (or thereabouts),

Had a nice tour of Key West on Wednesday morning, hit the ocean aquarium
and a few other minor tourist traps, then got a picture at the "farthest
south point in continental US" marker, 90 miles from Cuba.  Took a quick
dip in the Atlantic and wolfed down a hugh hunk of pizza before heading
east (on US-1 north).  Stopped by the Dolphin Research Institute for a
while, which made us miss the last snorkle boat out of Key Largo by about
an hour.  Bummer.  Continued on to Florida City, then up 997 a bit and
west on US-41 (Tamiami Trail Scenic Highway).  Pitched camp just shy of
Everglades City.  Elliot is getting a litttle crisp on the nose and ears
and under the eyes, but still plenty of SPF 30 left, so I think we'll be
okay.

Thursday, grabbed an air boat ride into the everglades to visit the
alligators and some other wildlife before heading on west, and then north
up the west coast of Florida.  Stopped in Fort Myers for a few hours to
check out Thomas A. Edison and Ford estate (very interresting tour
there).  A little more scurry up I-75 and a slight side trip west to the
coast at Venice for a dip in the Gulf of Mexico.  Just a bit chilly at
first, rather like a cold shower without a warning, but got used to it
pretty quick and stayed in for more than an hour until sundown.  Elliot
was enjoying wave hopping while I was just bobbing around in the deeper
stuff.  Stopped for the night just a little farther up I-75.  Pink and
red and hot and itchy is gradually turning tan and brown and warm, and
nobody is peeling (yet).

Tomorrow will start with about 2-1/2 hour sprint up I-75 to Gainsville
where we will stop to visit a bit with our lister Carl Fritz
<CFritz7001@aol.com>.  Haven't decided yet if going north from there or
west into the panhandle area, have to see how the time holds.  Just have
the weekend left to make it back to Chicago (no problem really).
Thinking about a stop at Racoon Mountain in Tennessee for a little play
time on the way north, probably Saturday afternoon/evening.  Can easily
make it home from there in one day.

Currently at 2500 miles (one week) and counting.  The MGA has been doing
a lot of 80 mph with the trailer keeping pace with the flow in the left
lane on the expressways in Florida.  No problem actually with the nifty
fast street cam.  It seems to like passing things at 75-80 mph, and still
getting about the same fuel economy as with the stock cam, so I couldn't
be happier. Must be in the right powerband for cruising around 4500 rpm
(and a little higher).  The car has been on perfectly good behavior, not
so much as a flicker in the whole trip.  It has been using a half quart
of oil for each tank of gas, pretty normal actually, and obviously
dribbling more than burning.  Probably wants a SpeediSleeve on the crank
pulley.

Will be checking mail again in the morning before before blast off.  Best
regards from the wandering red streak with the black tail.

Barney and Elliot Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (carrying a pair of huge grins)
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!