need advice on fixing a partially de-smogged engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: need advice on fixing a partially de-smogged engine
From: Marc <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 02:03:58 -0500
I have a 73 B. It's missing the air pump, and the rest of the emissions
system is a shambles. When the car is running, there is a strong smell that
is very crankcase like. I do not believe it to be exhaust, but haven't
completely ruled out an exhaust leak.

The odor in the car is very strong. There is a hose from the Absorption
cannister that is just dangling in front of the firewall. I'm going to
try plugging this up tomorrow to see if that is where it is coming from.

I don't know whether I should just cap off all the hoses or what?! I've been
looking at the complete official MGB book to try and determine a reasonable
set up, but would like to hear from anyone who has already done this!

The diagrams in the book show gulp valves, oil separators, and what
not, but my car didn't have any of those when I got it.

What I believe to be the remains of the anti-runon valve is rusted apart.

Should the vent line from the gas tank be plugged in the engine compartment,
or disconnected at the tank. There is a small round tank in the boot which I
think is a vapor separator. Should that be pulled out as well?

--
Marc Siegel, ABSnet Internet Services  eMail: smarc@abs.net
Baltimore, MD  http://www.abs.net      voice: 410/361-8160