Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:36:30 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/02 2:08:23 PM, Robert.Haigney@anixter.com writes:

<< Nice one Bill, I can't believe nobody else mentioned the Fokker (although
they were german planes).  I had the same thoughts as yo, you just beat me
too it. >>

We're getting way off topic here, but to correct the record, Anthony Fokker
was a Dutchman who tried to tell the Allies in WWI that he could shoot
through his prop without shooting it off.  They told him to bugger off, and
he did, to Germany, which produced thousands of his aircraft.  By the time
WWII came around, he was back in the Netherlands making advanced airplanes
for the Dutch air force, but in VERY small numbers, so they didn't last 2
days against the Luftwaffe.  Built airliners between and after the war, and
in the 30s build them in the US until one of his airplanes became unglued in
flight and killed Knut Rockne.
There is a great aviation joke to which the punchline was, "Ya, but that
Fokker was a Messerschmidt."

OK, I'll shut up now.

Jay Donoghue