Re: Stud Removal Technique

To: Scott Allen <scottinarl@hotmail.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stud Removal Technique
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:40:40 -0500
Scott Allen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Friend at work broke a stud tightening down the head on his Alfa, and was
> lamenting the fact that he now had to again remove the head to replace the
> broken stud.
>
> Another co-worker chimed in that this wasn't necessary.  If it had broken
> off at the top, (which it had) he could just use an "easy out" and extract
> it from the top.
>
> Now I'm a by the book sorta guy, and I think that this is bad advice, but I
> can't give words to why.
>
> Question:
>
> Anyone do this, and is it good advice just to use an easy out rather then
> (re)pulling the head?

I'm with you: it's a bad idea. If the stud is stuck in the block so
tightly that it broke off, there's very little chance an easy-out
will break it loose, especially with the easy-out at the end of the
stud, allowing the stud to flex.

I'll also bet he didn't pull the studs and slightly chamfer the
stud-hole edge in the block. Many times a bad head-to-block seal
turns out to be slightly pulled threads impeding the seal, and the
practice also tends to prevent problems like these, since pulling
the studs will show up a bad stud most times.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm