Suspension question -- No MG content

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Suspension question -- No MG content
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:02:01 -0400
So in a recent edition of one of the British mags, there's a feature on a
disassembled, beat-up Bugatti type 35, which is still one of the most beautiful
things I've ever seen.

They talk in detail about some of the quirks/flashes of engineering genius on
the car, and they mentioned one thing that I didn't quite get.

Apparently, the rear suspension features what they call a "torque arm" as an
anti-squat measure.  If I'm looking at the right place, it looks like it's just
a huge trailing arm that mounts *very* solidly to the center of the axle.

So if it's a trailing arm that doesn't bend, wouldn't it just lock the
suspension entirely?  I must have missed something.  It says that because of
the torque arm, the rear of the car actually rises under acceleration.

Just idle curiosity -- hell, it took me over a month to even bother to ask --
but curiosity none the less.  Can somebody explain what this is/how it works?

Matt

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/