Re: Steering problems

To: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sin.sloth.org>
Subject: Re: Steering problems
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 11:40:51 -0500
At 09:35 AM 5/3/02 -0400, Geoffrey Gallaway wrote:
>.... 69 BGT at highway speeds. If I hit the gas the car pulls noticeably
>to the left, when I hit the brakes it steers to the right. ....

This will inevitably be caused by shifting of the rear axle on the leaf
springs.  When the rubber packing pads detioriate with age the u-bolts get
loose.  Usual solution is just to tighten the u-bolts, but do be generous
with the penetrating oil, and be prepared for the possibility that one of
more of the u-bolts may break.  If the rubber pads are in really bad
condition then should be changed.

>I've also noticed that when the wire going to the oil pressure sensor is
>disconnected the car won't start. Is this normal?

No, that's just wierd, at least for 1969 model.  Which end of the wire did
you disconnect from where, and what color was it?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg