Re: A Gasket commando mission

To: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Subject: Re: A Gasket commando mission
From: Dennis <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 15:45:07 -0700
This is a big undertaking.  I personally would pull the engine to change all
those gaskets.  The pan is a real mother to remove with the engine in the car.
If I recall correctly I think you have to take loosen the engine mounts and jack
up the engine a bit to do it.  Same with the timing cover, it helps if you can
raise the engine a bit.  It really helps to have the manifolds off to do the
side
cover gaskets.  I'd say impossible but others may say you can.  With the engine
out you can deal with the rear main seal and it's usually a good idea to replace
the clutch when you get it that far apart.  If the engine is out it is so much
easier to get all the pan bolts back in and torqued correctly.  The radiator is
going  to have to be removed.  Your already going to have it 80% of getting the
engine out already done.  If you do the head gasket the manifolds will
definitely
have to come off.  On the positive side.. Most of this can be done with a basic
Craftsmen tool set.

Dennis Cox
67 MGB