Re: Speed on 98 octane

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speed on 98 octane
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 04:50:26 +0930
Eric wrote:

> Oh yeah, after I get my car off the dyno on Saturday (tuned for 98
> octane stuff and not AVGAS 105/110 octane) if I break 1:34 (1 minute 34
> seconds) at the track on Sunday, running on 'normal' fuel, I will buy
> everyone on the list a beer!

Two things here.

1. I was actually trying to break 1:35 (the 1:34+ I did at our NatMeet
doesn't count because the timing might have been slightly different).

As it turns out I did break 1:35 on one lap, 1:34.91 after hovering a
couple of tenths over this time all day.

2. I shouted the beers afterwards but my bet on this list was never
going to happen because I ran on AVGAS today.  After my session on the
dyno it seems that my compression is simply too high to be compensated
for (timing or whatever) without losing too much power, so it looks like
for now the anti-pinging solution is higher octane.  The only other
answer would be to machine the pistons (or add some metal to the
block:-) as far as I can see.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII