Re: fuse size MGA

To: "Scott Willis" <swillis@insightbb.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fuse size MGA
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:26:18 -0500
At 06:49 AM 5/15/02 -0700, Scott Willis wrote:
>I broke a 35 amp fuse in my MGA box. It's shorter than all other fuses I
>have. Is that an odd size that I have to order from Moss etc. or should it
>be avail at auto zone?

DO NOT USE A STANDARD 35 AMP FUSE.  It's not an odd size, but it is an odd
type of fuse.  It is actually a 17/35 amp slow blow fuse that will carry 17
amps indefinitly but will blow immediately at 35 amps.  If you install a
regular 35 amp fuse you run the risk of frying your wiring harness.  This
"special" fuse may carry 20 amps for a minute or so before it blows.  The
more current it sees the quicker it will blow, but it may even carry a 30
amp spike for a couple of seconds without blowing.

The reason for using the slow blow type of fuse is because the wiring size
is relatively small compared to the current load it is expected to
carry.  The MGA only has two fuses, and one of those (the 25/50 fuse) is
dedicated just to the horn.  Everything else in the car that is fused (not
everything mind you) runs through the 17/35 fuse, and some of the wiring is
only 18 gauge.  If you had a short in a tail light fixture you could draw
perhaps 30 amps continuously and never blow the 35 amp regular type
fuse.  Even though you have a dead short the current may never go higher,
because of the resistance of the long length of small gauge wire.  Drawing
30 amps continuously on the (small) 18 gauge wire will likely make the wire
so hot as to melt down the insulation.  The 17 amp slow blow fuse takes
care of this condition.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg