RE: twin 1 3/4" SUs on my B

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: twin 1 3/4" SUs on my B
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <mgs@duttenterprises.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:30:38 -0400
> <Sigh>
> The HS6s won't do you any good without other engine mods

Indeed.  However, it could be that the fellow in question does indeed have
suitable mods (overbore, ported/polished head, etc.) to accomodate the 6's
increased flow.  If he doesn't, well, I guess he'll find out soon enough
that he otta plan on it. :-)

> Why oh why is saying the word "racing parts" in front of many MG
> owners the
> equivalent of letting a bitch in heat run through a kennel of male dogs -
> even if they have no chance of using the parts, they start foaming at the
> mouth (and barking?).

LOL!  However, this is not just a symptom of MG owners.  Go autocrossing
sometime and have a chat with some of the riceboys there running 3" exhaust
(or, worse yet, exhaust tips) on their virtually stock 2 litre 4 bangers.
It seems to me to be a combination of culture and ignorance that perpetuates
the "bigger is always better" attitude towards performance tuning.  Most
folks learn eventually (and I'm still learning!) either through wise counsel
or expensive trial and error.