Re: Warm GT

To: Mromgbtkd@aol.com
Subject: Re: Warm GT
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 09:07:24 -0400
Mike,
   Look for holes in the firewall. There may be several that are not used
for anything, so those can be plugged again or taped over. Those that
have cables passing through may need their plugs replaced. Check also for
screw holes that may have appeared over the years. Those plug well with
blue-goo.    A method I have used for finding these holes is to raise the
hood, let the sun pour into the engine space, then slither under the dash
and look for light. I have been surprised how many holes there are in my
GT.  Plugging these has made a great difference in cold draughts during
winter, heat soaking during summer, and the reduction of noise.
Installing the under-dash panels can help too.
   A considerable amount of heat radiates from the muffler. That
dissipates in the open cars but raises cabin temp in the GTs noticeably.
Rigging a heat shield over the muffler can help, as can installing
another layer of carpet padding under the seats.
   Three-litre Austin-Healeys are often fitted with heat shields on the
firewall.
Bob