Aircare Progress

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Subject: Aircare Progress
From: Aubrey Schneider <aschneider@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 07:39:29 -0700
Hello Skye,

I thought I had sent off an e-mail to you (quite a long one) but can't
find it, so will have to re-do.

This is what I have done so far:

* Distrib' set @  014 in
* Timing set @ 11deg BTDC
* Plugs   set @ 25 NGK BP series (been on since motor re-build) &
functioned perfectly. BTW when doing my
   inspections, they are always exactly as shown in the Haynes manual.
* Carb adjusted according to John Armstrong info
* No change in rev's when lifting out piston. 20/50 oil.
I still have this surging/missing phenom after doing all the right
things (hopefully). One can also draw air from vacuum line attached to
the distrib', although I'm told that's not good, it shouldn't affect the
B to that great a degree.

Also did a compression test & all cylinders @ 149lbs!

When I asked advice on recent noise problem (Banshees under the hood)
the symptom was a loud shrieking sound, with an immediate reduction in
power & all lights became dimmer. When the  noise stopped, all as
before.

What I hear now, is the same sound but with a softer,gentle sound but
the same result, loss of power, surging & loud popping,almost a backfire
when slowing under compression. If I floor the throttle, it tries to
respond & will gain rev's fairly quickly but with no surging but lotsa
missing.

That's pretty much it Skye. Do you think you could diagnose what the
problem could be. Hopefully I haven't left anything out.

BTW.
Watching WRC on Speed, I got a short glimpse of a new MG called an
S1600. It was only shown very rapidly, so I couldn't get more info.

Went to the VanDusen British Car Meet (wonderful show) & asked all the
MG owners if they were on the list. With the exception of 1 man showing
a nice Jenson no one else even knew about it. That explains why I got no
response to my suggestion of meeting someplace & putting faces to names.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
Aubrey 75B