checking timing / tdc

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: checking timing / tdc
From: Brian Warmuth <warmuthb@wlsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:43:18 -0400
Word on the street is that "mgbob" said:
>The stick-down-the-hole trick won't suffice for this.  Better would be
>to remove the head, use a straightedge across the top of the block, and

>measure with a dial gauge as the piston rises when you turn the engine
>with the starting handle.

I don't want to be an old ......."stick-in-the-hole," but come on!  All
this guy wanted to do was check to see if his timing mark lines up with
tdc.  I know a stick in the sparkplug hole is not scientifically
accurate, but like most things, it'll do in a pinch, and in fact, will
tell him what he needs to know. Brain surgery this aint.

Sorry to be a crumudgeon, but after fiddlin and fussin with these cars
for 25 years, I know what works and what doesen't.  Sure, you can even
get offset keys to get your cam timing absolutely spot-on. Or one of
those Vernier adjustable cam sprokets, But you must remember the factory
didn't do it for production cars and they still worked quite well, thank
you very much.

Brian