How to set timing on a TD with an Ignitor

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: How to set timing on a TD with an Ignitor
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:20:51 -0500
Hurray, I managed to order the correct Pertronix Ignitor for my car. I'm
still not absolutely sure which cam I've got (you can go blind starring at
the outlines in the shop manual - symmetric, asymmetric or high-lift), but
the magnetic cam collar fits like a glove.

Now the question: How do I time the engine now? I realize I have to use a
timing light now (been doing it this way for years on the MGB). But how many
degrees at what rpm? I know some people like to set the timing empirically,
but I'd feel better with a definite figure. That way I won't be driving
around constantly worrying about pinging.

If there are no published figures around, maybe one of the empirical guys
has measured the advance after setting it by ear. Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470