Re: mga sway bar

To: stevep <stevep@driversroad.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mga sway bar
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:40:50 -0500
At 11:02 AM 5/28/02 -0700, Steve Petrosky wrote:
>Does anyone have the location of the holes needed for the installation of
>a front sway bar on a mgam where the bar is mounted to the frame rails?  I
>have all the parts but the front suspension is not assembled so I can not
>mount  to lower and work backwards.

If you have the original factory type sway bar, you may be in trouble
already.  This requires the later production front frame extension, which
has indentations in the top of the frame and the holes already there to
accept the brackets for the bar.  If your front frame extension is flat on
top, then you need to get a later frame part, or you would need to modify
the frame (cut and weld and drill) to the dimensions of the later
model.  New front frame extensions currently available will have the
mounting points for the sway bar already there.  They will also be limited
to use of the original type 5/8" sway bar, or perhaps a 3/4" bar if you get
real creative with custom made mounting brackets.

An easier and cheaper alternative is to use an aftermarket type sway bar
that mounts to the bottom side of the frame.  These units vary slightly in
dimensions, so it is necessary to install these after the car is completely
assembled with the full weight of the car (fully assembled) on the
suspension to have the correct ride height before drilling any
holes.  Meanwhile, read this:
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/suspensn/fs101.htm

Regards,

Barney Gaylord