Re: [MG-MGB] Not starting / did I damage it?

To: <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>, "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MG-MGB] Not starting / did I damage it?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:45:52 +0100
If connecting the battery direct to the starter caused the battery to boil and
no cranking then the starter has a problem - either jammed with the flywheel,
siezed, or an internal short in the motor.  If you left the link between
solenoid and motor connected when you connected the battery cable to the motor
terminal of the solenoid, then you could also have an internal short in the
solenoid or link between solenoid and motor.  This would account for the
lights dimming right down when you turned the key to start and just got the
'click' - the battery was probably boiling then, you just weren't aware of it.

I have to say that the test you describe sounds VERY dangerous - getting a big
spark in the vicinity of a boiling battery while you face is right over it.