Help! Fuel Pump problems

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help! Fuel Pump problems
From: "Chris Chandler" <barak@voyager.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:27:04 -0400
It never ends, does it?  :)

I had the B out for a spin yesterday and it died at the end of my street
(after running for about an hour).

A quick investigation revealed no fuel in the fuel filter.  A-ha! (Gas
just full from fill-up).

I got it towed home (did you know a Toyota Tercel can tow an MG???)

Anyway, I took it off and hit it with the battery charger just to check
it and no clicky clicky.

So, I tore it apart (figuring I can't make it any worse), being careful
to keep all the gaskets, etc intact. Everything looked ok.  I put it
back together and cleaned the outside terminal.  Tried it again with the
battyer charger and it worked (or seemed to).  I got it all hooked up
back on the car and no joy... Now I can hear it running, but still no
fuel.

I checked as advised in Haynes and it's not pumping fuel or air... It's
just making noise...

So, is there something I might have done to it that I can un-do?  Things
to check?  Do you need to prime it somehow?  Or should I bite the bullet
and put a new fuel pump on the credit card?

Thanks,
Chris

P.S.:  It's an AC Delco, not a Lucas