Re: It's Alive. Sort of.

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: It's Alive. Sort of.
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:56:10 -0700
The remarkable thing is that an engine that has only run for 3 minutes in
two years is leaking oil at all. After sitting for a year, you wouldn't
think there would be any oil in the tappet area to leak out the side covers.
Once you fired it up, of course, it would start again.

I wouldn't expect oil to leak out the dipstick tube under any circumstances.
The oil level in the sump is below the base of the tube, so whether it's
coming out the top or bottom, it would seem to indicate either an
excessively high oil level, or a crankcase pressurization problem. A stuck
or clogged PCV valve seems probable. Try running it with the filler cap off
for comparison.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149