Re: Volatage Stabiliser

To: "Jack Feldman" <qualitas@millenicom.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Volatage Stabiliser
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:25:17 +0100
The 'stabiliser' puts out an *average* of about 10v by switching 12 on and
off a couple of times a second.  If it fails it either causes the gauge to
read high or nothing at all.  Incidentally, not only does it stabilise the
voltage but it also compensates for temperature variations, something a
zener or electronic regulator wouldn't.

It is quite common for replacement senders to be considerably out of
calibration as compared to the originals.  Perhaps irritating when it never
shows full, but bloody annoying when you run out and it is still showing
between 1/4 and E.  The gauges can be recalibrated fairly easily, have a
look at the web site below and select 'Spanners', 'Electrics', 'Gauges' and
scroll to the bottom.  FWIW I found subsequent replacements did not need
recalibrating, neither did the first replacements (two cars) last anywhere
near as long as the originals.