Re: VIN number

To: J R Overcash <jroverca@earthlink.net>, MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VIN number
From: Rick Brown <mgrick@mgcars.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:55:49 -0400
Hmmmm I got the same message from him yesterday and sent the following
reply:

I found the answer in one of my books. Apparently the number was stamped
into the frame for most US/Canada exported cars. It was stamped inside the
front right-hand side member in the engine compartment just behind the front
engine mount,
adjacent to the starter motor. The stamped number is not found on the very
first US export cars but seems to have been introduced quite early in the
production run.  At least some cars had the car number stamped in the floor
pan in front of the right hand seat.

Good luck - Hope you are able to find it.  Do you have a title to the car?
If so you can get a blank Vin plate from Moss Motors and get it stamped.

Rick

---------   http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgcouncil
---------   http://mywebpages.comcast.net/brown409/
---------   http://www.geocities.com/enymgaclub