vapor pipe

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: vapor pipe
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 08:31:43 -0500
Hi all,
        A week or so ago, I mentioned that I had a pressure
problem in my fuel tank and that the gasket blew out on my
fuel pump. I put the old (wrong) gas cap on which basically
vents.

        Ok, I finally got time to look at this a bit last night
and it seems that the vapor pipes are clogged.

        First, the rear vapor pipe (in the trunk) lets a little air go through.
disconnected the fitting near the fuel pump in the trunk and put an
electric air pump (little Craftsman thing for tires, etc.) on the line
and I can feel just a little air coming through the pipe. The pumps
gauge says something along the lines of 90psi. Strange thing, the pipe
goes from the vapor canister forward along the fender, then all the way
across the trunk in front of the lid by the hinges and then back and
down to the fitting. Does it really need to be that long? BTW, nothing
comes out of the pipe except a little air.

        Then I went to the front and put the air pump on the front pipe. I'm
alone so I don't have anybody feeling if there is any amount of air at
the fitting in the trunk. But PSI is getting to 110 or so and you hear
the pump straining. So I'm guessing that's pretty well clogged.

        Am I right in thinking that the front pipe goes from the absorption
canister all the way to the fitting in the trunk? There's nothing hidden
under there is there? I tried following it under the car, and that
appears to be the case.

        So, can I go over to a friends house and put a real air compressor on
these pipes and see if I can't blow those things out
properly? Or is it just time for new pipe?

Thanks,
Paul.
'77B

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155