Re: MGB shakes between 55-65 (self shaking v.s. bumpy road)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB shakes between 55-65 (self shaking v.s. bumpy road)
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:56:42 -0500
My B has always been pretty well shake-free. Maybe when everything is
"right" on the B, and the road is smooth, there is nothing to excite the
resonant vibration. But get on a bumpy road, and there you go.

I wonder what effect the stiffness of the shocks has on shake? Does anyone
have some experience here? I recently increased the stiffness of the front
shocks on my TD in a vane attempt to fix a bad shake at 55 mph. (The
resonant frequency speed of a TD?) I just tried new U-joints and the shake
has gone away (at least the violent self excited shake). Now, on a bumpy
road will stiff shocks cause more or less shaking?

BTW: I never would have suspected my U-joints if it weren't for Bob Howard's
advice about zero play. I'm amazed that a barely detectable amount of play
can cause so much shaking.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470