Evolving OD problem (early OD)

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>, MG-MGB <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Evolving OD problem (early OD)
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 06:43:42 -0700 (PDT)
On my 67 with OD which was added in 1980 by a GPO (Great previous owner) I am
having a problem with intermittant working of the OD. It started in June in Ct
while on the 'Dare to be British Weekend' It showed up first as when I threw
the switch in and let the clutch back out (less jarring that way) nothing
happened. Dave Duetsch Mike Robson and other MG experts at the scene suggested
low oil and I checked it and it did appear to be down a pint or so. I added
that and I believe it worked all the way back to Maine. Since then the problem
has been coming back more and more. I had talked with my mechanic about it and
he had first thought it might be the solenoid. Being the procrastinator I am, I
have never bothered to give it to him for a day or two to check this out as I
figured I would get it fixed 'sometime' before Stowe. Besides I have the 80
project that just wont go away to get out of the driveway. The problem
continued to be off and on for the summer with the usual symptom being going
but then bucking in and out of gear. On a club trip I hit the switch and heard
an noise that I first thought was an electric noise 'snapping, popping' coming
from the tunnel next to me. I figured it was the solenoid shorting and turned
it right off (did I mention that I am a procrastinator?). In the meantime I got
the new wiring harness and when I cleaned the contacts to the OD electrical
component on the fire wall (relay?) it worked great for few days but I think it
was just coincidence. The more I listen to this noise in the transmission
tunnel the more I think it is a mechanical noise of gears not meshing all the
way. It is not the loud gears clashing noise but a softer muted noise like a
clacking or so. I have not given you guys much to go on but any Ideas? does it
look like I get to spray out the engine bay this winter while it is empty?

Carl French