Re: Rear main seal question/advice needed

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear main seal question/advice needed
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:50:13 -0400
Kevin Shertz asked:

When the rear main seal is replaced, what else should I have
checked/replaced while it's done?

Briefly:

The rear seal COULD just be aged, hardened and/or worn. Another
cause/contributing factor for a rear seal to leak is excessive
crankshaft "wobble" due to badly worn main bearings. You should check
this area closely, especially if your engine is aged.

The front tranny seal can be the cause of the oil leak too. Check it.

HOWEVER, if everything else is working to your satisfaction (clutch,
engine and all) and the leak is just a little one, LEAVE IT ALONE!
Almost ALL MG's (except for mine!) leak some. Its like marking their
territory, a trait of the make.

If the leak is bad enough though, then you should replace it.

Not such good news here. You will have to do some major work to fix a
rear engine or front tranny seal leak, because to do it right, the
engine/transmission unit will have to come out, and because of this, it
is the best time to do other stuff too. Even if the clutch is NOT
slipping or chattering (yet), with as far as you have to go into it, the
clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and maybe the pilot bearing
too should be replaced. I'd also resurface the flywheel if it were mine,
being that it has to come off anyhow to do the rear seal. While it is
all out, you could do lots more too. This is a great time to do the
water pump, the belts, the front tranny seal should be replaced. You
could even do an engine overhaul, paint the engine bay - and the list
goes on! How much money/time do you want to spend?

First though, I'd check the valve cover REAL closely to make sure that
it is not leaking at the rear. It is very easy to put it back on with a
poor fit, with a leak that drips down at the back of the engine and that
could easily be mistaken for a rear seal leaking.

That's "briefly" it. Good luck. Let us "The list" know the outcome.

-Jerry Erbesfield
73 B Black Beauty roadster
jerbesfield@mindspring.com
website- http://jerbesfield.home.mindspring.com