Re: Title woes

To: sruther@axionet.com
Subject: Re: Title woes
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:02:37 -0700 (PDT)
Susan Rutherford SEZ -
(With deletions...)

> Although I live in British Columbia, Canada, and so the laws are of
> course not the same, I was able to pursue an alternative, "last resort"
> solution which was offered to me (after much persistence) by the Chief
> Registrar of Motor Vehicles here, after I appealed for some sanity.

Hey, we're almost neighbors!  I live in Washington, and the
DMV here proposed a similar solution for my MGA.  What I would
do is file an affidavit and have the car inspected by the
State Patrol.  They would make a record of all the serial
numbers and place permanent little State Patrol stickers at all
the serial number locations.  Then, if at any time in the future,
anybody anywhere reported the car stolen, the Staters would
confiscate my car and the matter would be settled in court.
Needless to say, most potential buyers would not consider
this a "clear" title!

They show the car in my name, I have the plates in my name,
I have the bill of sale from the PO made out to me, but they
still want to go the Big Brother sticker route.  It's apparently
much easier to enter an incorrect VIN in a title record than it
is to correct it.

The Social Security number stories continue to amaze me.
It's strange that a state won't accept their own ID system
(a driver's license) as proof of identity, but they will
accept one of the most forged documents in America, a Social
Security card without a photo.  When someone asks me for
"federal" ID, I use my passport.  The number changes every
time it's renewed.

--
David Breneman                   |  "Advice is somethin' the
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |   other feller can't use,