Wire wheel hubs and spline questions...

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire wheel hubs and spline questions...
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 20:32:13 -0600
I mentioned that I am replacing the splines on my '70 MGB.

When I pulled off a front wheel tonight I was surprised to see that the
splines had been up against the base of the hub.  They have left marks
in the hub in fact.  Is this normal or was my car equipped with the
wrong hubs up front?  The grease cap also did not seem like the ones I
have read about.  I have some pictures of the hubs at:

<http://www.lundgren.us/camera/MG%20Pictures/index0006.html>
<http://www.lundgren.us/camera/MG%20Pictures/index0007.html>

After having read material on how to examine hubs, mine seemed worn,
that an the creak I was getting made me uncomfortable to drive the car.
 I stopped a while back. But I don't really have any hands on
experience with good hubs to know how bad mine are.

If you have any experience with this, please take a look at tell me
what you think.  Are my front hubs incorrect, and how badly worn are
these hubs.

(If you can tell from the pictures that is.  I scraped the grease off
so it would be clearer, but it might still be a hands on job.)

TIA!

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net