Re: Weirdo electrical problem, Now fuses

To: mmorris@nemr.net, tab@penworks.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weirdo electrical problem, Now fuses
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:38:08 EDT
In a message dated 8/20/02 11:09:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mmorris@nemr.net writes:

> When you replaced your fuse box what type (regular 35amp?) of fuses did you
> use? I've heard the slow burn 35 amp fuses are necessary to prevent harness
> burning in our cars. Is this true? I haven't been able to find these types
> of fuses except through Moss, VB, etc. Is there another, more readily
> available source?

- - - - - - - - - -

First, I have a '77 Midget.  The fuses MAY be the same for a B.  YMMV!

I used standard 20 amp spade (ATO) fuses.  I couldn't find slo-blo spade
fuses, but I didn't look very hard.  I separated the new air horns onto the
extra circuit.  I have not blown a fuse yet, in over two years.  (That is
probably because I have spares in the boot.)

You can get circuit breakers to replace ATO fuses, so they may be more
convenient.  Check out:
www.littelfuse.com/ASP/Search/Detail.asp?ID=173
for more info.

BTW, a slo-blo fuse will not protect the wiring harness any more than a quick
blow fuse.  Slo-blo fuses are tolerant of a high current draw upon startup of
a device.  A 35 amp slo-blo will tolerate probably 50 amps for a short period
before blowing.  Starting an air conditioner compressor puts that kind of
load on a circuit for a short time.  A driving light solenoid may do the same
thing.  So a slo-blo fuse actually puts more pressure on a questionable
wiring harness.

Hope this helps.  (Gee, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"