Re: Calling MGA Experts!

To: frank krajewski <frankk@intap.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Calling MGA Experts!
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:54:29 -0500
At 02:41 PM 8/22/02 -0400, frank krajewski wrote:
>.... What is a reasonable price for an A coupe? .... I have a 1958 MGA
>roadster but am not that familiar with the value of the coupes.

MGA Coupes were about 15% of production (when the coupes were in
production).  Today both supply and demand are about the same 15%, so the
Coupe still has about the same value as the Roadster, not dramatically
higher or lower.

I generally refuse to venture any guess on the value of any used car
without greatly detailed information.  It always comes out as a real wide
ballpark with lots of ifs attached.  Whatever the guess would be, it is
invariably wrong, as you never know exactly what the car is until you get a
first hand inspection.  "Original and solid with no rust" often turns out
to be exactly the oposite.  If you're not familiar with the model, get
expert help for an hands on inspection and evaluation.  Otherwise simply
assume the worst.

If you can take pictures and e-mail them to me I can do a reasonable job of
casting aspersions on everything I see that isn't perfect.  Pretty color
glossies never lie, but they also seldom tell the whole truth, as they tend
to gloss over (pun intended) lots of small detail, and much is commonly
hidded from view.  There is no real substitute for a first hand inspection.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg