3-Synchro MGB Gearbox Bushings

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 3-Synchro MGB Gearbox Bushings
From: "F. J. MacFarlane" <n5bgy@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 23:29:43 -0500
Anyone have a way to get the @#$#%#@&^@#! 2nd gear brass bushing onto the
3rd motion shaft in a 3-synchro MGB tranny?  I just trashed a brand-new one
when it shrunk immediately (seconds!) upon placing it on the shaft,
rendering it immobile.  I had to hacksaw it off.  It wouldn't budge without
excessive force leading to certain deformation, and it was in the wrong
place (not far enough down).  I heated the blasted thing to 400 deg F for 30
minutes, and it still cooled down far faster than any human could react to
position it and shove it down.  Maybe heat it to a higher temp, or longer,
or????  Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm beginning to wonder if my
B will ever get out of the garage!

BTW, the old bushing came off relatively easily with some prying.  I had to
replace 2nd gear and the synchro ring, they were toast, and the old bushing
was a bit sloppy, so I figured, why not a new bushing.  Oh, well.

Also, another question.  The 1st gear hub actually slides on the mainshaft.
There's about 1/4" or so travel fore and aft between the thrust washer in
front, and the bearing hub in the rear.  I'm assuming it's normal, since it
was doing that when I disassembled the tranny, but it's strange, I've never
seen another trans do that.  What purpose does the sliding 1st gear hub
serve (not the 1st gear itself, but the hub that is splined into the 3rd
motion shaft)?

Thanks much!

F. J. (Lane) MacFarlane
Houston, TX

1967 MGB (trying very hard to get it out on the road!!!!)