FW: surging

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: surging
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:49:37 -0400
As I said, I'm not hands-on familiar with this particular carb model so
I couldn't have known a one "specific" cause. Was just giving you
general possibilities. However, that internal needle being adjusted too
lean very may well be the cause of your lean surge.

However, more likely though, Lawrie Alexander [Lawrie@britcars.com] has
already posted the answer for you and how to test/fix it. Your EGR
valve. Check out his post. Lawrie has proven to be one of the most
"reliable" tech sources on this list. See, I told you somebody would
probably know.

Valve adjustment won't cause a surge and the difference between .15 &
.14 is so minor, I wouldn't worry too much about it. We used to
sometimes run valve clearances a little looser that OEM recommendations
anyhow when I was racing. That little bit never hurt anything. However,
"lean burn" CAN damage valves and valve seats over time. You need to pay
attention.

-Jerry Erbesfield
73 B Black Beauty roadster
jerbesfield@mindspring.com