Re: Back to the fuel pump...

To: "Nory" <Nory3@webtv.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Back to the fuel pump...
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:08:21 +0100
I'll try and read it all this time ...

No experience of the Facet but many aftermarket pumps run continuously, the
noise tends to drive the owners of such cars back to an SU ...

Not turning over, hmmm?  Now does that means it is cranking on the starter
but not firing up?  Or not cranking at all?  Initially I thought the latter
but your reference to the Crane made me think twice.

If it is cranking on the starter but not firing up clip a timing light onto
each plug lead and the coil lead and watch the flashes while cranking.  If
the flashes are regular the ignition is OK, but the timing could still have
slipped so check that.  If no flashes then the ignition is the problem,
apart from checking the voltage(s) into the system there is not much more
you can do, except go back to points if you can and prove it onto ot off the
Crane.

If it isn't cranking over on the starter a 72 MGB has a starter relay on the
right-hand inner wing.  If that is operating you will hear a quiet click
when turning the key, but it normally is drowned out by the louder clunk of
the solenoid, which is itself drowned out by the cranking of the engine.  So
let us know.