Re: What is this thing? (On ebay...)

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>, "Tab Julius"
Subject: Re: What is this thing? (On ebay...)
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 10:48:10 -0400
Tab Julius said:

> As Blake mentioned, it is a driving "accessory" of sorts - it sits tight
on
> the wheel but it can revolve, allowing you to hold only the knob and
steer
> with one hand, because you can "push" the steering wheel through its
entire
> arc easily with one hand.
>
> As far as I think (I don't KNOW this for a fact), the suicide knob is
> illegal in MOST if not all states.  It is called a suicide knob for
obvious
> reasons - it's an easy way to kill yourself because you can't control the
> car very well in extreme situations with one of those.

I'd always heard it called a 'necker knob' because the guy driving used it
to steer without ever needing to remove his right arm from around his girl
so he could 'neck' with her whenever possible.  This fit in with the
cigarette pack rolled up in the T-shirt sleeve and the 'lead sled'.  I only
know this stuff from old movies...

Denise

--- Denise Thorpe
--- xyzabcde