RE: Positive Ground cars

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Positive Ground cars
From: "Larry Hoy" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:53:47 -0600
My Original question:

> On a positive ground car, what color is the wire on
> the + (positive) side of the battery?

The answers:

1)      would'ent [sic] it be black?

2)      My negative earth '70 has red for ground...

3)      I believe black is the ground color throughout
        the car, so it would stand to reason that the
        battery ground would also be black

4)      It's whatever color the last person who
        replaced it used.

5)      On my negative ground both cables are black
        but the +ve has a red rubber boot.

#5 appears to be the correct answer.  The factory used black on both
ends of the battery.

Then a comment from Max:

I assume you need to know for the purpose of accurate restoration?

Actually this is the most 'original' of all my MGs.  I was replacing the
battery (but not with two 6's) and thought I should replace the ground
cable at the same time.  It seemed like I ought to make 'some' attempt
to keep things proper.

Thanks for all the input.

Larry Hoy