Re: Engine color please

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine color please
From: Chris Thompson <chris-mg@cthompson.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:20:59 -0400
BarrMark262@aol.com (BarrMark262@aol.com) wrote:
> Hi List: I will soon be painting the engine from my '74 B. ( If I can get it
> back from the machine shop in this century.)
> Please tell me what color the block, head and valve cover should be to be
> original.

As others have said, black, but unless you're going for concours, who
cares? :)

In the "Rebuilding the MGB 1800 Engine" video that Moss sells, they pull
the engine from a very light blue colored Rubber Bumper B (Which, one
assumes, was black from the factory) and rebuild it. When they're putting
it back in the car after the rebuild, the block, head and valve cover are
all painted the same light blue color of the car, though they don't mention
it on video. In the accompanying paper documentation there's a paragraph to
the effect that the appropriate color was black, and available as moss part
number xxx-xxxx. That the owner of that car had specifically requested a
color match.

I have a 1974 I'm about to yank apart for a rebuild, I'd already decided,
given my history of oil leaks, not to paint it black, and am trying to
decide on the otherwise appropriate but older Maroon, or maybe something
crazier.

Chris Thompson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster