Cooling system follow-up

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cooling system follow-up
From: Phil <jello@ida.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:33:58 -0600
The list comes through again.

I did replace my newer water pump with an older one.  I used to have a
cooling problem - at 75mph, my mga would see 220 on a hot day (and the
boiling point at my elevation is 204).  I got many replies, and someone
(I don't remember who) casually asked if I had the right radiator cap.
I went searching the net on caps, and found (I think at Barney's site,
but I'm not sure) that old ratdiator caps are 1/4 inch deeper than
newer.  I went and checked and sure enough, my car had a 3/4 inch deep
cap in a neck designed for a 1 inch deep neck.  So that 220 is really
troublesome, because water does boil at 204, and I did see 220 with no
pressure cap in place.  Anyhow - to cut to the chase - I bought a 7 lb
cap with the right depth, and have not seen more than 195 since (and I
have pushed the car hard).

Phil Bates
'58 MGA with a long neck radiator cap
'67 MGB (without)