Re: Dashpot oil

To: "MG-BBS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:31:52 -0600
Is 20 weight oil the best stuff? I believe the recommendation (and list
concensus) was to use the same weight oil you use in the engine. At one
time, I thought 10 weight oil was the stuff to use. I used that for a while
and somewhere along the way I took the literal meaning of "mineral oil" and
started using the store bought mineral oil in my carbs and shocks (this is
the same stuff used for baby oil except unscented).

And the mineral oil worked great for ten plus years (71BGT, SU carbs) until
I bought my 67BGT. In cold weather, I had problems with the dashpot damper
coming loose or unscrewed on a daily basis. And after a number of
unsuccessful fixes, I replaced the mineral oil with 10-40w oil, same stuff
I use in my engine during the winter months. Problem appeared to be fixed.
So I think its possible to go too thick or too thin with the oil, much
depending on weather and condition of the carbs.

David
67 BGT
72 B