Re: Transmission tunnel question

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission tunnel question
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:40:34 -0700
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "better". All Mark I Bs have a metal
cover on the tunnel, pierced with a hole for the gearshift. The problem is
that the gearshift on the later transmission is located several inches
further to the rear (and therefore does not line up with this hole, and in
fact requires the larger opening to be extended rearward).

The tidy way to handle this is to extend the opening neatly (with a torch,
saw or shears), and either cut-and-patch two covers together to create a
longer cover, or buy a plastic replacement cover designed for this purpose
from British Automotive. In your case it sounds like this might be a good
solution (with a little file work).

While the resulting gearshift position is superior (IMO), a downside of this
conversion is that your carpet kit will have to be modified -- neither the
late or the early style will fit exactly. Of course, the tunnel carpet tends
to require quite a bit of adjustment in any circumstances.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149