Can't get Ujoint off Steering Column

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Can't get Ujoint off Steering Column
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:28:32 -0500
I'm trying to replace the steering column Ujoint on my '71 B. I got the
joint assembly loose to where it will slide up and down over the splined
shafts, but it won't slide down far enough to allow removal. The ends of the
two shafts are about 1/4 inch too close together. What's the best way to get
one of the shaft to move that last 1/4 inch? I was considering loosening the
entire rack or removing the pinion cover. I haven't figured out how to
withdraw the upper shaft. Thanks in advance.

BTW: I'm amazed the Ujoint went bad, it appears to be the same part used in
the drive shaft!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470