Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc engine(longish)

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 94hp, 1800cc vs 1622cc engine(longish)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 00:52:19 +0930
Howard gentry wrote:

> The Elva was a feather weight..But those pesky
> porsches were the very devil to beat.
>      The 3 main bering engine was the picture of
> reliability, if balanced.  Wish I had that Elva
> today..It rode like a buckboard, but it did shift!

We had someone drop an oil line and torch his new WRX battling with one
of those "pesky Porsches".  It was spectacular watching him fly down the
straight spewing a jet-tail of burning oil (it took almost an hour to
clean up the mess on the track and I think the car is still being
rebuilt a year later).

Now as for reliability, this is why I have only done the minor (+040)
overbore and probably won't do much more to my engine block itself.
That hunk of (heavy) iron is as solid as a rock when others are melting
down around her.

So, there comes that point where the car changes from fast-street, to
street/track, to racecar.  You said he drove the Elva on the street
(before 'flipping it' - ugh), but was it really a 'street' car?

I think I may not be getting to that 100hp (unless I supercharge it)
until I win the lottery and buy that extra special 'A of my dreams as a
daily driver!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Nothing overshadows truth so completely as authority"
ALBERTI