RE: bolt torque

To: "'Otis15@aol.com'" <Otis15@aol.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: bolt torque
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:15:02 -0500
>                    Anyone know the torque for bolts that hold the cam
> retaining plate on. Broke one off at 20lbs. luckily enough
> was still out of
> the block and I could grip it  after I took the front plate
> off. Cant find it
> any of the manuals.

Don't feel too bad.  I did exactly the same thing.  Had the torque wrench
set for the front plate, and the brain didn't engage that those bolts were
too small for that torque.  IIRC, I torqued them to around 12 ft-lbs.  For
future reference, here's a useful chart of generic torque values to use for
various nuts and bolts:

http://www.engineersedge.com/torque.htm