Re: Measuring the difference between 14" and 15" wires

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Measuring the difference between 14" and 15" wires
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 10:10:36 -0700
The wheel diameter measurement is taken on the inner flange where the tire
bead seats. Meaning you can't directly measure it with a tire mounted on the
wheel (however, in that situation all you have to do is read the diameter
off the tire's sidewall). With no tire mounted, it still isn't something you
can directly hold a tape against. The easiest way is to directly measure the
inside depth of the outer flange, multiply that by two, and subtract it from
the overall diameter.

For practical purposes, you will find that the flange is generally close to
1/2" or 5/8". So while your B's wheel measures 15" overall, the nominal
diameter is 14". The C has 15" wheels.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149