Re: rear end noise (not flatulence)

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear end noise (not flatulence)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:15:59 -0500
At 07:32 PM 10/22/02 -0500, MonteMorris wrote:
>.... When both rear wheels are jacked up off the ground and either wheel
>is turned quickly, there is a noise in the rear end. .... Each wheel has
>probably 1/2 inch of play in it before it starts turning the drive shaft. ....
>           79B, Carmine
>           67B, BRG

I will guess later style tube type rear axle, and probably worn thrust
washers behind the 4 bevel gears, common to that unit.  My MGA with the
banjo style axle has 329,000 miles and has never had that problem.  You
have my condolences.  Pretty cheap repair if you do it yourself (mostly
grunt work).

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg