spark plug condition

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: spark plug condition
From: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 18:47:26 -0500
Hello,
I was checking my spark plugs and noticed something that seemed irregular.
The three rear spark plugs were a dark gray, almost as if the engine had
been running rich but not severely. The front plug was white, which is an
indicator that the mixture is lean or the plug is too hot for the engine.
What would cause that and how can I fix it? I thought that nothing could be
done mixture-wise without affecting at least two cylinders. The plugs are
Champions that were specified in the Haynes manual. As far as running rich
goes, no matter what I do I can't find that magic carburettor setting point
between rich and lean. Maybe my new Unisyn will help there, but any advice
on that topic would be appreciated as well.
Thanks,
William Killeffer
1974 MGB